LA CHORREA, Panama – Club Atletico Independiente of Panama will have their sights set on a comeback and a berth in the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League when they meet Costa Rica’s Deportivo Saprissa in the second leg of the 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf League quarterfinals on Tuesday night at the Estadio Agustin Sanchez in La Chorrea, Panama.
The Canalero club can clinch a spot in the SCCL for the second straight year with a 1-0, 2-1 or two-goal victory over the Tico outfit, who took the first leg last week in Costa Rica, 3-2.
After playing such a big role in their 2019 SCCL campaign and in last week’s first leg, CAI attacker Omar Browne will be unavailable on Tuesday night due to a red card in the first leg.
With Browne out, it will be up to the likes of Jorman Aguilar, Abdiel Ayarza and Jose Fajardo to provide the fireworks in attack.
Meanwhile, Saprissa are hoping to reach their ninth SCCL with a draw or a win on Tuesday. The Monstruo Morado has been led by Johan Venegas, who has five goals to lead the competition.
Possible match scenarios
- Match #33- Club Atletico Independiente vs. Deportivo Saprissa (2-3)
- With a Deportivo Saprissa victory or tie, Saprissa will advance to the Semifinals.
- With a 3-2 victory by Club Atletico Independiente at home, the match will be declared a draw and the outcome will be decided by Penalty kicks.
- If Club Atletico Independente wins by a difference of +2 goal or with a score of 1-0 or 2-1; Club Atletico Independiente will advance to the next stage of the competition.
- Note: The winner of this match will play against Comunicaciones FC or CD Olimpia in the Semifinals.
R: CORNEJO MELENDEZ, ISMAEL ALEXANDER (SLV)
AR1: ZUMBA GALAN, JUAN FRANCISCO (SLV)
AR2: MANGANDI, JOSE ANTONIO (SLV)
4th Official: HERRERA BONILLA, JAIME ALFREDO (SLV)