Cibao FC players and staff (pictured) celebrate after defeating San Juan Jabloteh in the Caribbean Club Championship final on May 21, 2017, in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago. (Photo: CA-Images)
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad & Tobago – Cibao FC (Dominican Republic) captured its first-ever Caribbean Club Championship title with a 1-0 victory over San Juan Jabloteh (Trinidad & Tobago) in the 2017 final on Sunday night at Hasely Crawford Stadium.
CONCACAF.com takes a look at the action:
2017 CARIBBEAN CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP – FINALS
Trinidad & Tobago
May 14-21, 2017
May 21, 2017: Hasely Crawford Stadium – Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
San Juan Jabloteh-Cibao FC 0-1 (0-1)
Richard Dabas 30'
- Richard Dabas scored in the only goal in the 30th minute, helping Cibao FC become the first team from the Dominican Republic to win an international title and qualify for the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League.
- Dabas headed in from four-yards out after Charles Herold Jr.'s left-sided corner kick appeared to ricochet off a San Juan Jabloteh defender.
- As a result of finishing as runner-up, San Juan Jabloteh will play in the 2017 Scotiabank CONCACAF League.
- Cibao FC completed play in the 2017 Caribbean Club Championship with an overall record of 4W-2D-0L.
- San Juan Jabloteh won the 2003 Caribbean Club Championship title.
San Juan Jabloteh: Javon Sample; Akeem Benjamin, Elijah Manners (Kadeem Corbin 82'), Keithy Simpson, Damion Williams, Kion Joseph (Josiah Trimmingham 87'), Jairo Lombardo Escobar (Kennedy Hinkson 78'), Vurlon Mills, Jevon Morris, Adrian Reid, Nathan Lewis. Head Coach: Keith Jeffrey
Cibao FC: Juan Pablo Dominguez; Cesar Garcia-Danco, Richard Dabas, Jose Tafarel Ferreira, Woodensky Cherenfant, Paulson Pierre, Charles Herold Jr. (Rhonard Garcia 86'), Domingo Peralta (Edward Acevedo 90'), Rafael Flores, Patrick Soko, Ernesto Trinidad. Head Coach: Albert Benaiges Sala
R: Mario Escobar (Guatemala); AR1: Jairo Morales (Puerto Rico); AR2: Dane Ritchie (Turks & Caicos Islands); 4th: Sherwin Moore (Guyana)