Action from the Costa Rican Verano Quadrangular match between visiting Herediano and Limon on May 3, 2017, in Limon, Costa Rica.
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica – The fifth round of six rounds in the 2017 Costa Rican Verano Quadrangular will be contested Wednesday night with all four teams still in contention for a first-place finish.
CONCACAF.com takes a look at what could be a decisive matchday in the Costa Rican postseason, with Herediano able to clinch first place if results go its way.
2017 Costa Rica Verano Quadrangular -- Round Five
May 10, 2017
Herediano (2W-2D-0L; 6GF, 4GA) v Saprissa (1W-2D-1L; 9GF, 10GA)
- In a battle of two of Costa Rica’s most decorated clubs, 25-time champion Herediano hosts 33-time champion Saprissa at the Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero.
- Should Herediano win and Santos either draw or lose at Limon, Herediano would win the Quadrangular and then face regular-season champion Saprissa in a one-match final to determine the Verano title.
- In their last meeting, on April 29, 2017, host Saprissa (Jordan Smith 35’ pen, 90’ pen) and Herediano (Randall Azofeifa 70’ pen, Jairo Arrieta 84’) played to a 2-2 draw.
Limon (1W-0D-3L; 7GF, 10GA) v Santos (1W-2D-1L; 6GF, 4GA)
- It is now or never for fourth-place Limon, which hosts second-place Santos at the Estadio Juan Goban in Limon.
- Limon forward Erick Scott scored a Verano best 20 goals during the regular season, but has netted just once in the Quadrangular.
- Santos has 2 wins in its last 11 away games (2W-5D-4L).
- Limon has lost 6 of its last 7 matches
Costa Rica – 2017 Verano Quadrangular Table
1.- Herediano 4-2-2-0-6-4-8
2.- Santos 4-1-2-1-6-4-5
3.- Saprissa 4-1-2-1-9-10-5
4.- Limon 4-1-0-3-7-10-3