Andre-Pierre Gignac (pictured) celebrates after scoring one of his two goals against host Monterrey in a Liga MX quarterfinal, second-leg encounter on May 13, 2017, in Guadalupe, Mexico. (Photo: Andrea Jimenez/Straffon Images)
GUADALAJARA, Mexico – The 2017 Liga MX Clausura semifinalists are set following a weekend of thrilling action that saw three of the four quarterfinal series be decided by one goal or fewer.
CONCACAF.com looks back on weekend’s results in Mexico:
2017 Liga MX Clausura Playoffs
Quarterfinals, Second Leg
Saturday -- May 13, 2017
Monterrey 0, Tigres 2
Andre-Pierre Gignac 45’, 68’
Tigres advances to semifinals (agg: 6-1)
- A brace from Andre-Pierre Gignac gave defending champion Tigres a 2-0 win over rival Monterrey at the Estadio BBVA Bancomer.
- The France international scored just before halftime, before adding a second in the 68th minute on a breakaway after Francisco Meza played a long ball down the left wing.
- Tigres has won four consecutive Clausura games by a combined score of 14-2.
Toluca 1, Santos 3 (Toluca win 5-4 on aggregate)
Antonio Rios 42’ / own-goal, Enrique Triverio 21’; Ulises Rivas 45’; Julio Furch 60’
Toluca advances to semifinals (agg: 5-4)
- Santos’ comeback bid came up just short in a 3-1 win to host Toluca at the Estadio Nemesio Diez.
- An own-goal by Enrique Triverio (21’) gave the visitor a 1-0 lead, but Antonio Rios levelled in the 42nd minute.
- Just before halftime, Ulises Rivas restored the Santos advantage and Julio Furch made it 3-1 at the hour mark.
- Toluca has one win in its last seven Clausura games (1W-2D-4L)
Sunday -- May 14, 2017
Guadalajara 1, Atlas 0
Orbelin Pineda 45’
Guadalajara advances to semifinals by virtue of having a better regular-season record (agg: 1-1)
- Guadalajara topped city-rival Atlas, 1-0, at the Estadio Chivas to advance as the higher seed after the series ended 1-1 on aggregate.
- Orbelin Pineda scored with a redirected header off a corner kick in the 45th minute.
- Guadalajara won for the first time in seven Clausura matches (1W-3D-3L).
Club Tijuana 2, Morelia 0 (Club Tijuana win 2-1 on aggregate)
Henry Martin 42’; Juan Lucero 80’
Club Tijuana advances to semifinals (agg: 2-1)
- Club Tijuana earned a 2-0 win over visiting Morelia thanks to goals from Henry Martin and Juan Lucero.
- Martin (42’) scored off a corner kick late in the first half, while Lucero (80’) sealed matters with a right-footer late in the second half.
- Club Tijuana has won three straight home games.