Herediano players and staff (pictured) celebrate after winning the 2017 Costa Rican Verano title on May 21, 2017, in Tibas, San Jose, Costa Rica. (Photo:Imagenes in Costa Rica)
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica – Herediano captured its 26th Costa Rican title with a 2-0 win over host Saprissa in the second leg of the 2017 Verano final on Sunday at the Estadio Ricardo Saprissa Ayma, taking the series 5-0 on aggregate.
CONCACAF.com looks back on the action.
Saprissa 0, Herediano 2
Jairo Arrieta 66’; Victor Nuñez 87’
- Jairo Arrieta (66’) and Victor Nuñez (87’) each scored in a second straight game, netting in the second half to lift Herediano past Saprissa.
- Herediano goalkeeper Leonel Moreira made a number of key saves before his team’s offense took command, with Arrieta curling in a left-footed shot for a 1-0 lead.
- Nuñez then ignited the Florenses’ celebration three minutes from full-time by pouncing on a loose ball in the Saprissa area and finishing from six-yards out.
- Both Herediano and Saprissa will represent Costa Rica in the 2017/18 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League.
THEY SAID IT:
- Herediano midfielder Randall Azofeifa: “You always have to play the matches. It’s difficult sometimes not to fall into feeling overconfident, but we knew that in Heredia we had to strike hard and here we managed the match like we did.”
- Saprissa midfielder Marvin Angulo: “We are proud of ourselves because we fought until the end and I think you have to congratulate Herediano for being the champion.”