Herediano's Jairo Arrieta (left) looks to accelerate against visiting Saprissa in the first leg of the 2017 Costa Rican Verano final on May 17, 2017, in Heredia. (Photo: Imagenes en Costa Rica)
HEREDIA, Costa Rica – Herediano took a big step towards capturing its 26th Costa Rican Primera Division title with a 3-0 triumph over visiting Saprissa on Wednesday in the first leg of the 2017 Verano final
CONCACAF.com takes a look at the action from the Estadio Eladio Rosabal Cordero.
2017 Costa Rican Verano -- Final, First Leg
May 17, 2017
Herediano 3, Saprissa 0
Jairo Arrieta 8’; Victor Nuñez 30’; Oscar Esteban Granados 35’
- Herediano enjoyed a quick start as Jairo Arrieta got in front of a Saprissa defender and volleyed home a cross for a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute.
- Victor Nuñez doubled the margin at the half-hour mark by collecting a pass behind the Saprissa defense, rounding Saprissa goalkeeper Danny Carvajal and then calmly sweeping home.
- Five minutes later Jose Sanchez’s cutback pass found the onrushing Oscar Esteban Granados, who sent a right-footer past Carvajal for the third and final goal.
- The sides will meet on Sunday in the second leg at the Estadio Ricardo Saprissa.
- Herediano is unbeaten in eight of its last nine matches (6W-2D-1).
- Saprissa is winless in six of its last eight games (2W-3D-3L).
THEY SAID IT:
- Herediano head coach Hernan Medford: “We have won absolutely nothing. There are 180 minutes. The first 90 minutes are gone. To go to Saprissa is not easy, we should work equally hard.”
- Saprissa Head Coach Carlos Watson: “We believe in the comeback and that is an unshakable faith. We believe we can put up the result.”