Second-half goals propel Pachuca past Police United

Action from the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League match between host Pachuca and Police United (yellow jersey) on August 23, 2016, in Pachuca, Mexico. (Photo: Mexsport)

PACHUCA, Mexico -- Pachuca (2W-0D-0L, 6 points) erupted for three second-half goals to defeat Police United FC, 3-0, in the 2016/17 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League on Tuesday night at the Estadio Hidalgo.

Half-time substitute Jonathan Urretaviscaya set-up the first goal and scored the third for the Tuzos, who outshot their Belizean opponent 29-3 to move ahead of Olimpia (1-0-1, 3) at the midpoint of group play.

Erick Aguirre and Hirving Lozano also netted for Pachuca, which will close the group with two away matches, beginning with a visit to Police United (0-0-2, 0) on September 13.

The 2009/10 SCCL champion has now recorded clean sheets in back-to-back SCCL matches, after a string of six games conceding at least one goal.

The visitor fell to a second straight shutout defeat despite the heroics of goalkeeper Keith Allen, who made 15 saves.

Defender Trevor Lennon also had a pair of goal-line clearances for the Belizean side, which for a time looked like it might escape the Estadio Hidalgo with its first-ever SCCL point.

Instead, the 2016 Liga MX Clausura champion finally broke through in the 62nd minute.

Urretaviscaya whipped in a tempting early cross from the right toward the penalty spot, and Aguirre sent a flashing header beyond the lunge of Allen and inside the left post.

It was 2-0 on a similar sequence 17 minutes later. This time, it was Raul Lopez who got wide right and then looped a cross back from the byline toward the post. Lozano was there to meet it, sneaking his header between Allen and the left post.

Urretaviscaya then sealed the match four minutes from full time, sending a 20-yard free kick off the inside of the left post, leaving Allen little chance.

Police United’s loss drops sides from Belize to a record of 1W-1D-6L all-time in SCCL competition.