MIAMI.- The 2019 Scotiabank Concacaf League semifinals kick off on Thursday with an intriguing first leg clash between CD Olimpia of Honduras and Deportivo Saprissa of Costa Rica at the Estadio Olimpico in San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
The same day, Alianza FC of El Salvador will square-off FC Motagua of Honduras at the Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador.
Before the Thursday whistle, here some things to know ahead of the 2019 SCL Semifinals.
- So far eight semifinal matches of the Concacaf Scotiabank SCL League have been played where 19 goals have been scored (10 assists)
- The home teams have scored ten goals against nine of the visitors. The average goal is 2.4.
- A total of 14 different players scored in the SCL semifinals. Eleven of the 19 goals came from open play, four headshots, three penalties, and one free-kick.
- The starting players scored 95% of the goals. The only substitute player who scored is Jesús Marcelo Canales of CD Olimpia, against Plaza Amador in 2017 and is, at the same time, the only free throw goal scored in the Semifinals.
- Only one defender, Juan Pablo Montes of FC Motagua vs. Tauro, in the 2018 edition has scored in the semifinals, the rest were nine forwards and nine midfielders.
- Honduras is the country that contributed the most scorers in the Semifinals (10). Panama follows it (4), Costa Rica (3), Colombia, and Paraguay (both with 1).
- CD Olimpia (HON) is the team that has scored the most goals in the SCL semifinals (8), followed by FC Motagua (3).
- In the semifinals, there were five wins for local teams, 1 for visitors (Plaza Amador 1-7 Olimpia in 2017) and 2 draws (Arabe Unidos 0-0 Santos de Guápiles and Olimpia 1-1 Plaza Amador, both in 2017)
- The winner of the semifinals has never been defined from the penalty kicks.
- Roger Rojas (CD Olimpia) is the top scorer in the SCL semifinals history (3). With two goals, Edwin Aguilar (Tauro FC), Michael Chirinos (Olimpia), and Yendrick Ruiz (Herediano).
- Ervin Zorrilla -PAN- was the youngest scorer in SF of SCL (21 years and eight months), he played for Plaza Amador -PAN-. Meanwhile, Carlo Costly -HON- with Olimpia, was the oldest player to score (35 years and three months).
- Total goals in the history of the SCL since the first edition in 2017, there has been 211 goals scored, average of 2.2.