Andre-Pierre Gignac (left) and Jesus Dueñas (right) scored two goals each as Tigres beat visiting Monterrey in a Liga MX Clausura quarterfinal, first-leg encounter on May 10, 2017, in San Niciolas de los Garza, Mexico (Photo: Andrea Jimenez/Straffon Images)
MONTERREY, Mexico – Tigres and Toluca were big winners in their respective 2017 Liga MX Clausura quarterfinal, first-leg matches on Wednesday.
CONCACAF.com looks at the action and key moments:
2017 Liga MX Clausura Playoffs
Quarterfinals, First Leg
May 10, 2017
Tigres 4, Monterrey 1
Andre-Pierre Gignac 20’, 69’; Jesus Dueñas 45’, 90’+2 / Jose Maria Basanta 90’+1
- Braces from Andre-Pierre Gignac (20’, 69’) and Jesus Dueñas (45’, 90’+2) powered Tigres past archrival Monterrey in front of 41,612 fans at the Estadio Universitario.
- Gignac opened the scoring with a 20th-minute volley, before Duenas doubled the lead by firing home a loose ball right before halftime.
- Gignac scored his second with a 69th-minute header, but the Rayados pulled one back in the first minute of stoppage time.
- Monterrey’s celebration was short-lived as seconds later, Dueñas netted with a right-footed strike.
- Tigres is 3W-0D-0L in its last 3 games, outscoring the opposition 12-2 over that stretch.
- Monterrey is 0W-0D-3L in its last 3 matches, scoring only two goals over that stretch.
- The sides meet again on Saturday at the Estadio BBVA Bancomer.
Santos 1, Toluca 4
Jonathan Rodriguez 53’ / Gabriel Hauche 14’; Enrique Triverio 55’; Fernando Uribe 79’; Carlos Esquivel 88’
- Toluca took a big step toward the semifinals with a 4-1 win at Santos.
- Gabriel Hauche gave Toluca a 1-0 lead with a 14th-minutee header.
- Santos answered in the 53rd minute, when Jonathan Rodriguez rounded Toluca goalkeeper Alfredo Talavera.
- Toluca regained the lead two minutes later as Enrique Triverio – off a neat feed by Pablo Barrientos –beat goalkeeper Jonathan Orozco with a right-footed effort from 13-yards out.
- Fernando Uribe pounced on a loose ball to make it 3-1 in the 79th minute and Carlos Esquivel punctuated the scoreline by stroking home a right-footer with two minutes remaining in normal time.
- Santos lost at home for the first time in 2017 Clausura (5W-4D-1) play.
- Visiting Toluca and Santos played to a 2-2 draw in the final regular-season game for each on Sunday … Rodriguez (Santos) and Hauche (Toluca) also scored in the match.
- The sides will meet again on Saturday at the Estadio Nemesio Diez.